20 Answers Series from Catholic Answers Book 11
Catholic Answers Press
Trent Horn wrote almost half of the 20 Answers series books. But this is the first of his that I have read. This lent I am doing the 20 Answers Challenge from Catholic Answers Series. This book in particular and the series in general are great reads. And if the other books by Horn in the series are as good they will be excellent reads as well. But back to this specific book, the sections in this book are:
1. What does the Catholic Church teach about the Eucharist?
2. How do non-Catholic views of the Eucharist differ from the Catholic belief?
3. Why do Catholics believe the Eucharist is the physical body and blood of Christ when it looks exactly like bread and wine?
4. If the Eucharist contains the physical presence of Christ’s body and blood, doesn’t that mean Catholics who eat it are cannibals?
5. Wasn’t Jesus commanding the apostles to host a perpetual memorial dinner in his honor instead of commanding them to literally eat his body and blood?
6. Is the Bread of Life discourse in John 6 evidence for the Real Presence?
7. What are some common objections to the biblical evidence for the Eucharist?
8. What did the early Church Fathers believe about the Eucharist?
9. Was the Eucharist copied from pagan religions?
10. Why do Catholics sacrifice Christ in the form of the Eucharist when Scripture plainly teaches that Christ has been sacrificed “once and for all”?
11. What happens when the Eucharist is consecrated at Mass?
12. Under what circumstances can Catholics receive the Eucharist?
13. How should we receive the Eucharist?
14. How should unconsumed eucharistic elements be disposed of? What should be done if the body or blood of the Lord is spilled or coughed up?
15. Can non-Catholics receive the Eucharist?
16. What kind of bread and wine can be used at Mass?
17. What did the Second Vatican Council teach about the Eucharist?
18. What is eucharistic adoration?
19. Have there been miracles involving the Eucharist?
20. How can I develop a greater devotion to the Eucharist?
I cannot think of anything more distinctive than the Catholic view on the Eucharist. From the introduction Horn clearly iterates this centrality and also the vehement opposition to the Catholic view. In the first chapter Trent states: “Like baptism or confession, the Eucharist is a sacrament—an outward expression of an inward reception of grace. The Catechism teaches that “The Eucharist is the efficacious sign and sublime cause of that communion in the divine life and that unity of the People of God by which the Church is kept in being” (CCC 1325). However, the Eucharist differs from the other sacraments in an important way because it “is ‘the source and summit of the Christian life.’ The other sacraments, and indeed all ecclesiastical ministries and works of the apostolate, are bound up with the Eucharist and are oriented toward it” (CCC 1324).” Having recently read 1001 Reasons Why It's Great to Be Catholic! by Robert M. Haddad, Which documents numerous miracles surrounding the Eucharist, Horn however focuses on 5 spanning from the 8th century to 2001.
But this book is not just history. It is about drawing closer to God, and how the Eucharist can and should be key in that process. Horn shows common arguments against the Catholic beliefs, and he refutes them, from scripture, and early church writings. The main chapters for this would be ‘What is Eucharistic adoration?’ and ‘How Can I develop a greater devotion to the Eucharist?’ The book is worth the read even if just for the information in these two chapters. In a book that contains 52 pages of text there are over 85 quotes from the Catechism, church documents, Christian authors, councils and more.
This book was another excellent read in this series. I highly recommend the book and the whole series. They will help you grow in understanding of your faith and in how to defend it. Consider taking the challenge and read all 20 books it will change your life!
Note 2: Lent 2017 this is an amazing series of books is being offered at a 50% discount through the end of Lent 2017. But the challenge is to read the 20 books in the 20 Answers series over Lent. That is right you can get all 20 physical books or all 20 eBooks for just $34.95! If you want a way to go deeper this Lent give this series a try! #20AnswersChallenge
20 Answers Series:
20 Answers Abortion - Trent Horn
20 Answers Angels & Demons - Fr. Mike Driscoll
20 Answers Atheism - Matt Fradd
20 Answers Death & Judgement - Trent Horn
20 Answers Divorce & Remarriage - Jim Blackburn
20 Answers End of Life - Jason Negri
20 Answers Faith & Science - Trent Horn
20 Answers God - Trent Horn
20 Answers Islam - Andrew Blezad
20 Answers Jehovah's Witnesses - Trent Horn
20 Answers Mary - Tim Staples
20 Answers Miracles - Karlo Broussard
20 Answers Mormonism - Trent Horn
20 Answers Salvation - Jimmy Akin
20 Answers Scripture and Tradition - Jim Blackburn
20 Answers The Bible - Trent Horn
20 Answers The Eucharist - Trent Horn
20 Answers The Papacy - Jim Blackburn
20 Answers The Real Jesus - Trent Horn
20 Answers The Church - Trent Horn
20 Answers Witchcraft & the Occult - Michelle Arnold
20 Answers Apparitions & Revelations - Michael O'Neill
20 Answers The Sacraments - Fr. Mike Driscoll
Other Books from Catholic Answers:
Hard Sayings: A Catholic Approach to Answering Bible Difficulties - Trent Horn
A Daily Defense: Apologetics Lessons for Every Day - Jimmy Akin
The Apostasy That Wasn't: The Extraordinary Story of the Unbreakable Early Church - Rod Bennett
Answering Atheism - How to Make the Case for God with Logic and Charity - Trent Horn
Persuasive Pro Life: How to Talk About Our Culture's Toughest Issue - Trent Horn and Fr Frank Pavone
The Protestant's Dilemma: How the Reformation's Shocking Consequences Point to the Truth of Catholicism - Devin Rose
Behold Your Mother: A Biblical and Historical Defense of the Marian Doctrines - Tim Staples
Handed Down: The Catholic Faith of the Early Christians - James L. Papandrea
Demons, Deliverance, Discernment: Separating Fact from Fiction about the Spirit World - Fr. Mike Driscoll
Navigating the Tiber: How to Help Your Friends and Family Journey Toward the Catholic Faith - Devin Rose
100 Biblical Arguments Against Sola Scriptura - Dave Armstrong
The Drama of Salvation: How God Rescues You from Your Sins and Brings You to Eternal Life - Jimmy Akin
The Truth is Out There (Brendan and Erc in Exile Book 1 - Brother Amadeus and Amadeus
Memorize the Reasons! Defending the Faith with the Catholic Art of Memory - Kevin Vost
Marching Orders: A Tactical Plan for Converting the World to Christ - Dan McGuire